There are times when you want to add specific delivery instructions on your parcel. For instance, when delivering a parcel containing fragile goods.
Now the question is how do you add delivery instructions to USPS? Is it even possible?
The short answer to this is yes. You can add specific delivery instructions to the USPS. This can be done using its Delivery Instructions service. In this post, we will give you all the details you need to know.
What You Will Know
- 1 What is USPS Delivery Instructions Service?
- 2 What type of shipments is eligible for Delivery Instructions?
- 3 Fees for USPS Delivery Instructions Service
- 4 Notifications Of USPS Delivery Instructions Request
- 5 FAQs:
What is USPS Delivery Instructions Service?
The USPS Delivery Instructions Service allows you to add specific delivery instructions to certain packages. In other words, you can authorize or specify how certain incoming mail-pieces or packages are to be delivered.
You need to add the instructions online. Once you are done, the packages will be delivered at a specific location at your address, a different domestic address, or at the Post Office. You will find all the options online. All you have to do is select the one that you think is convenient for you.
If your package is eligible, you can also add Extra Services or even upgrade the mail class. However, you should know that the Delivery Instructions setup is often a paid service. Before you opt for this option make sure you go through the Delivery Instructions setup options both free and paid. You can access Delivery Instructions through your USPS account.
What type of shipments is eligible for Delivery Instructions?
The next big question is what packages are eligible for delivery instructions. The main eligibility condition is a barcode. Your package should carry the USPS Tracking barcode so that you check it online and confirm whether it is eligible or not.
Here is what you need to do:
- First, you need to go to the official USPS website and log in to your account.
- Now enter the tracking number in the given box and click on the option “Search.”
- You will be shown the recent tracking status of your package.
- If your package is eligible for the Delivery Instructions service, you will be shown the option “Delivery Instructions” on your screen. It will appear on the right side of your screen under the heading “Available Actions.”
These are the items/situations that are not eligible for Delivery Instructions:
- International items
- The package is already delivered or out for delivery
- Package to be delivered to a military address
- Packages that are insured for $500 or more
- Packages and mail-pieces with Collect on Delivery service
- Shipment requires a signature upon delivery
- Address with an active Hold Mail request
- An item with an active USPS Package Intercept service
- Address with a Temporary Forwarding service
- An item with an active Hold For Pickup
If your shipment falls under any of these categories, then it is not eligible for the USPS Delivery Instructions service.
Fees for USPS Delivery Instructions Service
There are both free and paid USPS Delivery Instructions services available. It depends entirely on what Delivery Instruction service you select.
Here are the details you need to take note of:
No Cost Options
- Delivery/redelivery to a specific location at your address
- Hold for Pickup at your post office
- Delivery to a neighbour’s home
Upgrade Fee Options
- Directing shipment delivery to a different domestic address
- Adding Extra Services
- Hold for Pick up at a different Post Office
- Upgrading mail service to Priority Mail Express or Priority Mail
Notifications Of USPS Delivery Instructions Request
Based on the options you have selected to set up Delivery Instructions, you will receive any of the following email notifications.
- Confirmation email to let you know that your Delivery Instructions request was successful
- confirmation email to let you know that your shipment is delivered
- An email if you made a paid request, and the actual postage exceeds the estimated postage that was provided to you at the time of the request
- If your shipment needs to be repackaged, they will send you an email with a new USPS Tracking Number
- If your shipment is undeliverable, you will be sent an email with the reason for non-delivery
Note: Once you have submitted your delivery instructions request, you cannot cancel it.
USPS Delivery Instructions service is a very useful service. It helps you to authorise how your shipment is to be delivered. Now that you know the details, it should be easier for you to use this service.
Why do you need to add delivery instructions to your USPS package?
There are times when you would want to add specific delivery instructions to certain USPS packages or mail pieces. In your instructions, you can specify how your package should be delivered or handled.
Does it cost to use USPS Delivery Instruction Service?
There are both paid and free USPS Delivery Instruction Services available. You will be charged based on the delivery options you choose.
How to add delivery instructions to your USPS package?
You can add delivery instructions to your USPS package online. You can do so from the USPS tracking page.