Standing in line at the post office to pick up a parcel might not be convenient for many. Now, amidst the coronavirus pandemic, it’s even more of a headache. However, shipping companies like UPS have made things quite simpler for their customers.
UPS has introduced the UPS Home Pickup option, which allows you to schedule pickup options for your shipping packages. All you need to do is have your item boxed up and purchase a shipping label before scheduling. The pickup scheduling is free with UPS. Today, we will discuss everything you need to know about this facility.
What You Will Know
- 1 How to Schedule UPS Home Pickup: The Procedure
- 2 UPS Home Pickup: Benefits
- 3 Is There Any Additional Charges for UPS Home Pickup
- 4 UPS Home Pickup: Process of Scheduling
- 5 UPS Home Pickup: FAQs
- 6 The Bottom Line
How to Schedule UPS Home Pickup: The Procedure
UPS Home Pickup allows scheduling pickups even without labels as their pickup driver will bring all the required documents for the shipment at your doorstep. When you opt for this facility, however, you cannot pay with check or money order.
First, you must call UPS and give your payment information over the phone. You can also write down your payment information on the slip that the driver will bring as it will cover any shipping or pickup costs involved. After verification, you’ll be able to see the total cost of your order online.
Once the label part is over, you must enter your pickup information and address. Select the type of UPS service you want along with the number of your total shipment. You’ll also have to indicate whether your package weighs more than or less than 70 pounds. Lastly, choose your pickup time and location. Remember, ground shipping is less expensive than next-day shipping.
UPS Home Pickup: Benefits
There are two options available for UPS Home Pickup. You can choose Daily Pickup, or you can go for On-Call Pickup.
Here are the benefits of choosing UPS Daily Home Pickup:
- Convenient for daily shipments with an automated pick-up time which is reliable
- High availability for all destinations
Benefits of UPS On-Call Home Pickup®:
- Available for all pickups including ground, air, and international
- Flexible scheduling with one call
- Fees apply as per pickup request regardless of the number of packages
- Deliverable to commercial and residential locations in the US.
Is There Any Additional Charges for UPS Home Pickup
There is an assessed charge per pickup. If you want to ship regularly, you can go for any of the following scheduled pickup options. Each one has a weekly service charge involved.
- For On-Call Pickup, the fee is $6.80 per same-day request and $5.80 for a future-day pickup. (non-weekly; per shipment charge)
- For Daily Pickup, the weekly fee is $12.90 on weekly billings of $75 or more.
- For Day-Specific Pickup, the weekly fee starts at $11.85 per week, which increases depending on the shipping volume and the number of weekly pickups
- For Daily On-Route Pickup, the weekly fee is $11.90 for shipping worth $75 or more
- For UPS Smart Pickup, the flat weekly fee is $11.85
UPS Home Pickup: Process of Scheduling
You can schedule your shipment to be picked up from anywhere, be it your home or office. However, there are 3 scenarios for scheduling a pickup, and each one has specific steps to be followed.
Logged in to My UPS and Account Saved in Preferences:
- First, click on ‘Shipping in the area’ located at the top and then select a ‘Pickup in the area’ found at the left.
- Determine whether you have obtained shipping labels already or preprinted Return labels
- Enter the number of letters/packages for each service type
- Select date, time, and location for the pickup
- Enter the phone number and email address of the contact person. This helps in electronically communicating information about the shipment.
- Click Next to complete the verification
- Again, select next to receive your pickup confirmation and the Pickup Request Number.
Logged in to My UPS and You have a Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, Day-Specific Pickup, or UPS Smart Pickup® Account type:
- Select Shipping and Schedule Pickup before choosing the payment method which will be available in the drop-down menu
- Choose if you have obtained shipping labels (Get Discount from here) or just preprinted the returned ones. Although, this information won’t be displayed for UPS Smart Pickup Accounts.
- Put the necessary customer information, or you can choose a name from the Address Book
- Enter the number of letters/packages for the specific service you’ll be choosing before selecting a date, time, and location for the pickup
- Then, click Next to complete the verification, and again, select next to receive your pickup confirmation and the Pickup Request Number.
Not logged in to My UPS:
- Select Shipping and Schedule Pickup while determining whether you have already obtained shipping labels or preprinted Return labels
- If you previously own a UPS Account, enter that Account Number and Account ZIP/Postal Code along with all the required customer information
- Enter the number of letters/packages for each service type and choose date, time, and location for the pickup
- Enter your phone number and email address or you can enter the same for any other contact person. This helps in electronically communicating to get information about the the shipment
- Select next for verification and then again, select next to enter all the information for payment and once you’re through. You will receive your pickup confirmation and the Pickup Request Number
NOTE: Make sure to print the confirmation page for each schedule, and you can use the Pickup Request Number to cancel, modify, or track your pickup status.
UPS Home Pickup: FAQs
Can UPS Pick Up Packages From My Home?
Yes, UPS can pick up your package from your home. You have to create an account or log in to an already existing account. Create a shipping label within it, enter all the required details, and complete the sections. Once you’re done, UPS will reach the given destination on time to pick up your package.
Does UPS Pickup on Weekend?
On request, UPS can collect your shipment on Saturdays. However, there is no implementation of Sunday pickup as of now. Check UPS value-added pricing for retail rates. Check our detailed guide on UPS weekend service here.
Will UPS Pickup from My House?
Yes, they will. All you have to do is schedule your pick up online at ups.com, or you can call 1-800-742-5877. UPS will pick up your packages with a single request, and there’s no scheduling cost involved.
The Bottom Line
UPS Home Pickup services are quite convenient for both commercial and residential purposes. You can try out any of the pickup mentioned above options and follow the given steps to complete your shipment. If you have any doubts and queries, feel free to contact the PS customer services. They’ll be happy to assist you!