Your storage unit might contain precious things or confidential things, and you would like to keep them away from prying eyes. So how do you secure it?
With a lock, of course!
However, if the lock is too big, will you be able to carry your unit? On an outdoor storage unit, a huge lock is sure to draw attention, and ideally, you would want to avoid that.
So what option do you have?
A famous Roman innovation is here for your rescue- padlocks. These low-cost, convenient and portable security devices can keep your storage units safe. Of course, since the multiple options in the market can be confusing, we have listed the top five products you can consider.
What You Will Know
- 1 IN A HURRY? HERE’S OUR TOP PICKS…
- 2 What is the difference between Lock and Padlock?
- 3 What is a Padlock used for?
- 4 Best Padlock for Storage Unit: A Detailed Review
- 5 Types of locks for storage units
- 6 Best Padlock for Storage Unit (FAQs)
IN A HURRY? HERE’S OUR TOP PICKS…
We have found the ideal locks if you find it hard to select the perfect Padlock for your storage. Here is a quick view to help you choose as per your needs.
What is the difference between Lock and Padlock?
Locks are detachable devices used to secure things using hinged shackles. On the other hand, Padlocks are used for keeping things secure utilizing fastening. Padlocks, unlike locks, can only be opened by using a combination of keys.
What is a Padlock used for?
Padlocks, by nature, are highly portable and can thus be put in any location. These are unlike the traditional locks that are built for doors. Therefore their usage too is different. Unlike other locks used only for security, padlocks double that down and protect against vandalism, displacement, or any forced entry.
They are also used to secure storage units, like sheds and garages. To increase the security levels, it’s advisable to opt for corrosion-free padlocks. Many banks also use them to keep their employees secure. Institutions located in troubled areas also widely use padlocks.
Padlocks can also be used indoors to secure gym lockers and toolboxes. If the Padlock is to be used indoors, there is no need to opt for a corrosion-free padlock. Only regular lubrication will be enough.
Best Padlock for Storage Unit: A Detailed Review
Puroma Steel Discus Lock Padlock
- Padlock Application: Ideal for Pods, storage units, garages & sheds, trailers, mobile trucks, outdoor gates, warehouses, logistics, doors, storage, moving trucks, etc.
- Heavy Duty Lock: Stainless steel lock body and hardened steel shackle for maximum corrosion protection during outdoor or indoor use.
- High Security: Brass chrome plated cylinder for adding strength and security.
- Specifications: 2-3/4 inch wide lock body; 3/8 in. diameter shackle.
- Sturdy Construction - Durable and sturdy structure, minimizes shackle exposure and protects against bolt cutter attacks.
Though new in the market, Puroma is quickly going up the ladders and is becoming widely accepted for its quality performance.
The Puroma Steel Discus Lock Padlock includes all the features that ensure the safety of your possessions. For starters, the Padlock is made from premium quality material, stainless steel being one of them. This material keeps the lock strong and resistant against damages caused by impact. Furthermore, the material is corrosion and rust-resistant. These factors make the lock an ideal pick for the outdoor storage units.
Even though it has multiple noteworthy features, the lock is lightweight, weighing 7.6 ounces. However, it weighs enough to ensure quality performance. The middle size fits most units.
It is the disc design of the lock that steals the show. The design quality of this disc lock provides good service similar to many high-quality disc locks available on the market. Besides, the product also features an excellent shield shackle design which provides a strong body for the lock.
One of the exciting things about the lock is that the key does not turn 360 degrees which makes picking difficult. That’s why this is one of my favorite best padlock for storage unit.
- Features a standard disc design.
- Extremely weatherproof and rust-resistant.
- It has a few loose pins.
- The keys are incredibly tight.
Overall this Padlock provides the required amount of security and is ideal for a specific purpose, but not as a general padlock.
Puroma 1 Pack Keyed Padlock
- Heavy Duty Lock: Solid brass lock body and hardened steel shackle for maximum corrosion protection during outdoor or indoor use.
- Widely Application: Great for indoor or outdoor use. Ideal for storage units, garages, trailers, mobile trucks, outdoor gates, warehouses, moving trucks, etc.
- High Security: Designed with 5-pin cylinder and dual locking lever construction provides excellent pry and cut resistance, safer than 4-pin cylinder.
- Specifications: 1-9/16 in. wide lock body; 1/4 in. diameter shackle. 2.6 Inch long shackle for convenient usage.
- Package Content: One padlock, three keys. Ideal gift for your friends, classmates, etc.
Lookwise, this Padlock is old school but has all the features required to ensure the safety of your storage unit.
This heavy-duty lock is made from a hardened steel shackle and provides maximum protection against corrosion, making it ideal for both indoor and outdoor use.
To address the concern of security well, the Padlock includes a 5-pin cylinder coupled with a dual locking lever system that provides excellent protection against prying. The unit is also cut-resistant. Overall the lock is better than a 4-pin cylinder.
A hardened steel shackle has been used in the construction of this unit. The steel shackle coupled with the solid brass body of the lock reduces the risk of shackle exposure, thereby protecting it against rust.
Owing to its sturdy construction and high-end material, this unit is ideal for outdoor usage.
- Thick shackle included.
- Good length provided.
- Attractive bronze finish.
- Extremely durable.
- Easy to use.
- The keys are thin.
- It gets hard to unlock during cold weather.
The Puroma 1 Pack Keyed Padlock is a good quality product that features a sturdy construction and all the features that make it ideal for storage protection.
SQUIRE Combination Padlock
If you have the habit of misplacing keys, the SQUIRE Combination Padlock is the ideal pick for you! This Padlock provides the required amount of security and that too without keys!
The lock features a die-cast alloy body coupled with a fully compound protective cover, making the unit corrosion-free and weather protected.
Since it’s a coded lock, you can code and recode it when needed and have one code for all the locks to open easily. The recordable mechanism offers over 10,000 combinations making it challenging to pick.
The combination wheels are spaced out well, making it easy to push the buttons for operation.
This lock can be used outdoors due to its sturdy construction and high-end security. Most individuals have used it to secure rooms containing machinery and equipment. But it can also be used for gates, garages, large sheds, and vans.
- Unique recodeable mechanism.
- Heavy-duty security without using keys.
- 5 combination wheels.
- 10000+ combination options available.
- The unit is relatively small.
- Difficulty in operating the lock during winter months.
- Too big shackle.
The Padlock is as advertised by the company. It’s a reliable unit and has a multi-purpose usage.
ZARKER J45S keyed Padlock
- Rust-proof & strong durability : Strong body made entirely of zinc and STAINLESS STEEL (SUS 304) shackle with strength and weather-proof abilities provide strong resistance to cutting. Corrosion-resistant materials, such as brass, STAINLESS STEEL, and zinc, were used to make the internal components.
- High security : The 7-pin brass cylinder provides excellent durability and ensures protection and security against theft. The high precision key makes it difficult to arbitrary unlock.
- The locking mechanism’s key provides more than 10,000 combinations.
- Three keys provided for one lock.
- provides excellent performance and durability even in a poor outdoor environment such as snow and rain
This is one of the best performing Padlocks that has been well appreciated by users for storage security.
Everything about this Padlock is superior. For starters, the material used in its constitution has zinc coupled with stainless steel to eliminate corrosion issues. Most users opine that these locks develop great strength with excessive usage.
So, with time as your security grows, you can simply lock up your confidential items and relax! It’s impossible to cut or saw this lock!
To take security a notch up, the latch is made waterproof, which makes the lock perfect for outdoor use. The lock includes a 7-pin cylinder made from brass which provides maximum protection against theft. Besides, it also comes with a high-precision key that eliminates the chance of picking.
The advanced locking mechanism of the lock gives the option of 10000 combinations. Finally, the unit comes with three keys which are kept alike to ensure user convenience.
- Rust-resistant and weather protected.
- It features a weather-proof design.
- Made from durable material.
- 7-pin cylinder included.
- Offers over 10000 combinations.
- A tad bit expensive.
This is a high-performing Padlock ideal for those requiring extra security.
KAWAHA 71/80KA-3K Stainless Steel D-Shaped Padlock
- 🔒 [APPLY TO ALL WEATHER & ANTI-CORROSION] Performs well even under the extreme environments as lock body, shackle & cylinder cover are made of anti-rust SUS304 stainless steel which is waterproof and is high resistance in rusty.
- 🔏 [ULTIMATE SECURITY] Protect your assets as with anti-pry double-ball locking against more than 4 ton pulling. This high security padlock with key is heel-toe locking with a freely rotating stainless steel shackle which leaves no weak spots on the locks and prevents attacks by cutting or sawing.
- 🔐 [STRONG & STURDY STRUCTURE] Both stainless steel lock body and shackle provide maximum corrosion protection during outdoor or indoor use. Special weatherproof anti-thief and anti pry disc cylinder make it perfectly suit your needs in high security.
- 🔓 [PADLOCK APPLICATION] Its unique "D" shape make it the perfect solution for securing Container, Storage, Shutter, Garage Door, Gate, Fence, Shed Lock, Lorry door, Warehouse, Iron door, wooden door etc. **PLEASE CHECK THE BOLT SIZE MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS.
- 🔑 **KEY CAN ONLY BE REMOVED ONCE LOCKED, Padlocks supplied Keyed Alike with 3 keys each. (Other options in sizes and keyed alike different are also available to suit your needs.)
This lock has taken security to great heights with its high-level anti-corrosion protection. The lock’s body, shackle, and cylinder is made from anti-rust SUS303 stainless steel, which is highly resistant, waterproof even in potent acid. Thus the lock can be used easily both indoors and outdoors.
Furthermore, the KAWAHA D-Shaped Padlock provides anti-pry double-ball locking against more than 4 ton pulling. This is coupled with a fully rotating steel shackle. Thus there are no weak spots on the lock, which prevents attack by cutting or sawing.
Another interesting feature of this Padlock is that it’s waterproof and provides anti-theft and anti-pry features, which makes the lock ideal for both outdoor and marine environments.
Thanks to its D-shape, this Padlock is ideal for storage, garage gates, sheds, and shutter doors.
- Anti-corrosion unit.
- Anti-theft features included.
- Constructed from 304 stainless steel.
- The shackle is large.
- It might be a bit thick for some locations.
- The key bow is plastic made.
Ideal for both indoor and outdoor use
Types of locks for storage units
Security is essential, especially in a storage unit; thus, it’s important to find a suitable lock. Thankfully, there are a variety of different lock types that provide excellent security and meets the requirement for all storage facilities. We have listed a few options below for you to check!
Stainless steel padlock with keys
This is the type of Padlock that has gained a lot of popularity. This type of lock is also commonly known as disc or circle lock. But why is it good for a storage unit?
One of the reasons is that to open the lock; one will require a key. Do not confuse this high-quality lock with the inexpensive discount padlocks. These are very challenging to tamper.
Keyed cylinder locks
Many storage owners prefer this type of lock because it can be rekeyed without removing the lock completely. Plus, you can use a master key to unlock multiple doors using this rekeying method.
Similar to the locks mentioned above, picking a cylinder lock is extremely difficult. You will require a special key to turn the cylinder that is attached to the cam, which in turn releases the lock.
If you are a tech-savvy person willing to use technology for the security of your storage, then a Bluetooth lock is your ideal pick. These locks can be remotely controlled from your smartphone or any other authorized device. All you need is access to its associated app, and you can control this lock from anywhere.
Dail chain locks
As the name suggests, a chain lock has a long chain, and the locking mechanism of this lock can only be opened with either a key or dial combination. However, it’s not an ideal choice for the long-term safety of your store.
Best Padlock for Storage Unit (FAQs)
What kind of lock should you use for a storage unit?
While looking for the ideal lock for your storage unit, you need to keep a few things in mind—the lock strength, for instance. As a rule of thumb, the stronger your lock is, the safer your things will be. Thus it’s important to opt for a weather-resistant lock for your outdoor storage.
Additionally, it’s advisable to check the shrouding as well. Keeping these two factors in mind, you can either opt for a disc lock or a key access padlock. Both of these options provide the maximum amount of security.
What is the safest lock for a storage unit?
Of all the locks reviewed in this article, the Punoma Stainless Steel Disc Lock is the safest. Many experts have reviewed and talked about its disc design. The making of design provides maximum security.
Besides, it features an excellent shackle design providing proper allowance towards the lock’s body. The shackle design does not allow the key to turn completely 360 degrees, thereby not allowing one to pick the lock easily.
What is the hardest Padlock to break?
The ZARKER J45S keyed Padlock is the hardest Padlock to break or pick. This Padlock is extremely rust-resistant, and its body is made from zinc and stainless steel to keep corrosion away. This particular lock has received many acclaims for its strength with use.
Plus, the device also has a waterproof latch which makes it ideal for outdoor use. The 7-pin cylinder of this unit provides 100% protection against theft, and its high precision key gives the ideal resistance against picking.
Security is not something to take for granted! So, go ahead and secure your belongings with this best padlock for storage unit. Each of the products listed here has been selected after in-depth research. So, all you need to do is pick up one that suits your needs.